I made this salad for dinner yesterday and today. When I made it for the second time, I realized it had all five flavors–sweet (beets, apples), salty (salt!), bitter (watercress, radish), sour (lemon) and umami (or savory) (cabbage).
Here’s a definition of umami, in case you’re interested. This salad is a nice combination of colors, flavors and textures. And it tastes good, too
Five Flavors Salad
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup watercress
- 1/2 beet, grated
- 1/2 apple, grated
- 3-4 inch piece daikon radish (or use any radish), grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- Juice of 1/4 lemon or to taste
- Salt to tasted
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- mix together all the vegetables, including ginger, in a large bowl.
- Add lemon, salt and oil.
- Adjust salt, lemon, oil as needed.
You could just chop all the vegetables, but I like the variety of textures from the different ingredients. I also might have added some pumpkin seeds, but I’ve been snacking on these gluten free pistachios, so didn’t feel the need. It’s surprisingly hard to find gluten free nuts if they’ve been processed in any way.