My dear daughter, Gabi, returned from 4-1/2 months in Costa Rica. Needless to say, I am overjoyed to have her home. When I asked her if there was anything special she wanted me to get from the grocery store, she said, “Lots of vegetables!” So last night I made Braised coconut Chickpeas with Lemon, served over baked sweet potatoes. But today I decided to try something new. I’ve been experimenting with lettuce wraps and have finally figured out how to make a wrap with romaine lettuce that isn’t completely messy–just cross 2 leaves over each other and put the ingredients in the middle.
Anyhow, here’s the recipe:
Tempeh Burger with Brussel Sprout Slaw
- 8 oz tempeh (as with all ingredients, check to make sure it’s gluten free if you need it to be)
- app 2 Tablespoons olive oil, or enough to coat your frying pan
- app 2 Tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- garlic salt
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- cut tempeh into 3 pieces, then cut each piece in half to make 6 thin squares. You could also cut them into fingers, if you prefer.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a frying pan big enough to hold all the tempeh.
- When the oil is hot, add the tempeh and brown on both (or all if it’s in fingers) sides. Add more oil, if needed.
- When the tempeh is golden brown, reduce the heat to medium low, sprinkle the top with garlic powder and nutritional yeast, if desired. Then sprinkle on the soy sauce and pour the water into the pan around the tempeh. Cover the pan with a lid and let it steam for a couple of minutes or until the water evaporates. This may happen very quickly, so keep an eye on it at this point. If the water evaporates immediately, turn off the burner and cover the tempeh and let it sit and soften for a couple minutes while you finish the salad.
Brussel Sprout Slaw
- about 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 red (or other color) pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 heaping cup (about 25 small) chopped brussel sprouts–you could also use cabbage, but I had a few brussel sprouts left from Thanksgiving. I peeled off any yellow leaves and them chopped them finely from the top down, discarding the stems.
- 2 Tablespoons (vegan) mayonnaise (or to taste)
- Juice of one lemon and/or lime (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the salad.
- Mix all the vegetables together in a bowl
- Add the mayo, lemon/lime juice and salt and mix everything together.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Tempeh burgers or fingers (see above)
- Brussel sprout slaw (see above)
- 3 or 6 large lettuce leaves (I like romaine)
- sliced avocado, if desired
- Place the lettuce leaves on 3 plates. You can use just one if it’s big enough or cross the leaves to create more coverage. This would also be good on your choice of bread.
- Place 2 pieces of tempeh on each lettuce leaf/leaf cross.
- Put some of the slaw on top of the tempeh.
- Add some avocado, if desired.
- Wrap it up, eat and enjoy!
We enjoyed our lunch! I hope you do, too.
Thanks for stopping by.