I love beets, but sometimes we get so many of them from our CSA that I can’t quite figure out what to do with them all. Sometimes we chop them up, coat them in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast them in the oven. When we get cabbage, too, I make borscht, but this soup is my new favorite–it would, of course, be good with any color of beets. It would be especially beautiful with red beets and some winter squash–I’ll let you know how that comes out!
Golden Beet and Coconut Milk Soup
Adapted from Beet, Ginger and Coconut Soup on Epicurious.com
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 5 golden beets,cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro(optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add beets and 4 cups stock; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender, 20 minutes. With an immersion or regular blender, puree soup, . Stir in milk, salt and pepper, cilantro, red pepper and ghee, if desired. Reheat if you want it really hot, but I just added these last ingredients and found the temperature was just right.